Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can you think of a time when you have felt restricted in seeking information or expressing your views or ideas? Did you back up your opinion w/ facts?

In the 12th grade we had a research project to do. My research project was on the blood diamonds in Sierra Leone. My teacher only allowed us to use one online source and six books. I felt I was restricted in seeking information because even though you can get a lot of information out of books, online sources are very helpful and are topic specific. The books I found had like one or two chapters that were relevant to my topic. I told my teacher that only being able to use one online source was ridiculous and she reconsidered and eventually let us have four online sources.

2 comments:

Oakes (Lisa Forrest) said...

That is an excellent point-- many reputable sources exist online. My guess is that your teacher was used to students using really *bad* Web sites?

Daniel J. Gurba said...

Yes she was. Too many students tried to use wikipedia to find all their information, and then they would try and put other sources on their annotated bibliography, but in reality they didn't even check out those sites.